This week I worked on some of the petri dishes I got from responses to my survey! I posted on Instagram and asked people with disabilities to anonymously share surgeries and procedures where medical teams had to take away a part of their bodies. I got tons of responses and these are just the small clay pieces I made so far. Pretty much all of them will have both fiber and resin with them. I also imagine these displayed all together on a wall in a big installation.
This week I painted a yellowish green slip on my cell form, and I am planning on doing my purple-ish red chrome/tin glaze over it. I am excited to get it in the kiln. I need to make stilts for it.
I also mixed up a darker red glaze which has a slightly different base but still tin/chrome ratio. I did a line blend of 1% - 8% Tin. 5% Tin is the original recipe as I found it. I am excited to pull them out of the glaze kiln.
I also made a post to my Instagram for a new project I am doing. I am collecting different procedures disabled people have experienced (probably mostly friends). I will then do research of the cells and tissue from the different body parts or kidney stones or something they had procedure on (keeping them anonymous) and place them all on display like my past petri dish pieces. I hope I can get feedback from people! It's exciting that it involves experiences besides just mine.
I am excited about this finished form! I have been obsessing over my glazes so I am ready to get some color on it. I am thinking of doing a base slip of a yellowish green, and then doing some version of the pink glaze on top of it.
The Triaxial blend was interesting. I realized later that I accidentally did too much chrome. I did increments of 1 gram instead of increments of 0.1 grams, which obviously is a huge difference, especially with how strong chrome is. I'm not mad about the results! Maybe a version of the green I will be able to use at some point. But I am thinking of redoing this triaxial. I also was looking at my past line blends and thinking that doing tin instead and keeping the chrome consistent would have been better because of the way tin makes the glaze flow.
This week I glazed my muscle tissue piece with my tin and chrome pink glaze I did for my line test. It came out a little more purple than I was wanting, however, I wasn't upset with how it turned out because I put underglaze red and pink underneath. I am playing with the same glaze for my triaxial blend!
I also attended the Southern Crossings Pottery Festival this past weekend, and I was really excited with all of my knew glaze knowledge. I got a cup from Justin Paik Reese that has a BEAUTIFUL red striping glaze. He fires his work in soda kilns. I am honestly interested in this glaze, and trying to see if I could get something similar to it on my own... I also am curious how it would interact with my bumpy textures. It seems to me like it would add another really interesting layer. I am wondering if I would have to fire it in a soda or if I can achieve something similar to the lines in an electric.